‘How can I leave my kids out of my will to make sure my new wife gets it all?’

Oct 11, 2019
Sometimes remarrying can complicate the situation when it comes to estate planning. Source: Getty.

Q: I’ve remarried after my wife passed away seven years ago, and I would like my ‘new’ wife to inherit my total estate once I die. I’ll probably live another 10-plus years and I’m worried that my earlier children will want part of it. My estate will have appreciated substantially by then through investment and other things and it doesn’t seem just that they should benefit from my new wife’s hard work. How do I make sure this happens?

A: You are quite at liberty to leave your entire estate to your new wife. However, family provision legislation in each state allows the court to override a person’s will to make provision for certain family members and dependants. Whilst the law differs slightly in each jurisdiction, children are certainly within the category of ‘claimant’.

Your children would have a statutory right to claim provision from your estate, which they may or may not exercise. This is not to say that if they did claim they would necessarily be successful to any great extent or at all but all the circumstances would be considered by the court including, no doubt, contributions made by your new wife to the estate assets.

Whilst you may not be able to prevent a claim, you may be in a position to restructure your assets in order to limit the impact of a claim. For example can some assets be transferred to joint names and thus pass by survivorship rather than through the will? You should seek advice from a reputable estate planning lawyer.

If you have a question for Starts at 60’s money experts, email it to [email protected].

Important information: The information provided on this website is of a general nature and for information purposes only. It does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is not financial product advice and must not be relied upon as such. Before making any financial decision you should determine whether the information is appropriate in terms of your particular circumstances and seek advice from an independent licensed financial services professional.

Financial information that's key to your retirement lifestyle

Sign up to our weekly newsletter for more great financial information

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Financial info & tips
Emails delivered weekly
Sign up