Grandmother reveals devastating message received before granddaughter found dead

Grandmother Margaret Gurney has revealed a text message reportedly received from her daughter moments before granddaughter Isla (right) was found dead at home. Source: Twitter/ Nine News Sydney

The heartbroken grandmother of a little girl found dead inside a home this week has revealed the devastating text message received from her daughter before the three-year-old was discovered.

The body of the toddler, reported as being Isla Lee Gurney, was found at a home in Orange, New South Wales, on Thursday night sparking a police probe into the tragic death.

Police officers from the NSW force found the toddler’s body at around 7.30pm, with the girl’s mother, named in multiple reports as Tamara Gurney, also found in a semi-conscious state inside the property.

Along with police, paramedics from NSW Ambulance were also called to the scene and the woman was taken to hospital to undergo treatment.

Now the devastated grandmother of little Isla has spoken out, explaining the concerning message she reportedly received in the moments leading up to the discovery of her granddaughter. According to Margaret Gurney, Tamara had been inconsolable after learning her daughter would be living with her ex-partner.

“Tamara sent a text saying what a wonderful mother I was and everything and she used past tense,” Margaret Gurney told Nine News.

“That’s how I knew. And she said I’ll say goodbye now mum, I won’t be here tomorrow.”

Still coming to grips with the death of her beloved granddaughter, Margaret fought back tears as she explained the last time she spoke to Isla.

“Isla was just the most gorgeous girl you’d ever seen,” the grandmother told Nine News. “I talked to her Wednesday night, she said I love you grandma, you’re the best grandma.”

Read more: Police probe launched as girl, 3, found dead alongside semi-conscious mother

Meanwhile, the 40-year-old mother is conscious and recovering in hospital under police guard. However, no charges have been laid at this stage with police still carrying out investigations.

“There was no one else in the house and from what we’ve been able to gather, we are not looking for anyone else,” NSW Police Superintendent Chris Taylor told Nine News.

“We’ve also enlisted the assistance of the homicide squad for Sydney.”

According to Nine News forensic teams have dusted windows for finger prints and bagged evidence from the scene, including a canister of butane.

Meanwhile, NSW Police confirmed the investigation remains ongoing and investigators have sought assistance from Queensland Police as there are family members interstate.

Have you been following this story?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest

Sue's sassy!

She became a member of Starts at 60 and got access to amazing travel deals, free masterclasses, exclusive news and features and hot member discounts!

And she entered to win a $10K trip for four people to Norfolk Island in 2021. Join now, it’s free to become a member. Members get more.


Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.
Retrieving conversation…
Stories that matter
Emails delivered daily
Sign up