Zucchini slice is a staple in my household, and with this recipe, it will be a staple in yours too.
After learning the simple recipe in home economics at school, it’s had a long life in my mental menu. Now, I’m sharing this tasty recipe with you.
- 4 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 zucchinis, coarsely grated
- 1 cup pumpkin, coarsely grated
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, just thawed
- 120g coarsely grated cheddar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 60ml milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve, optional
- Pine nuts to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan and line the base and 2 long sides with baking paper. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the zucchini, pumpkin, mixed vegetables, cheddar, flour and parsley to the bacon mixture and stir to combine. Add the egg, milk and oil and stir to combine. Season. Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40 mins or until firm to the touch. Set aside to cool. Cut into pieces.