Beloved Australian entertainer and cancer survivor John Blackman has offered his insight into John Farnham’s road to recovery following his own shock cancer diagnosis and gruelling surgery to remove part of his jaw.
The Hey Hey It’s Saturday star said he cried when he heard about the singing legend’s diagnosis. The actor knows exactly what it’s like, having had the same surgery where he lost his jaw, four years ago.
My journey towards becoming George Clooney’s stunt double for all his love scenes (or the part of Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz) continued today at Linacre Private Hospital. Huge thanks to all the wonderful staff and my plastic surgeon Doctor Frank! pic.twitter.com/9Xta5eDB3E
— JohnBlackman (@johnblackmanhey) May 11, 2020
As reported by 7News, Blackman said his fellow entertainer has a tough, lengthy recovery ahead.
“Hopefully John will get through this with as little angst as possible, and he’s going to need all the support he can get,” Blackman said.
“I know his family is very loving and they’re all going to gather around him.”
John Farnham is in intensive care after marathon surgery to remove part of his jaw. The singer is in a stable condition, his family describing the operation as a magnificent outcome. https://t.co/lOxyBtJkoL @emma_os #7NEWS pic.twitter.com/2Gf9ySg1IJ
— 7NEWS Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) August 24, 2022
While many Australians are hoping Farnham’s cancer battle won’t stop him from performing, entertainment reporter Peter Ford said singing isn’t Farnham’s focus right now.
“I don’t think singing or not singing is even part of the equation at the moment for John,” Ford told 7News reporters.
“(Not singing is) disappointing for us fans, but obviously his first and only priority right now is his health.”
However, Ford admitted that due to the location of Farnham’s cancer and following the surgery, it appears unlikely the show will go on.
“Certainly now you have to say there’s even a lesser chance [of him performing],” Ford said.
“The first was the removal of the tumour, the second was a reconstructive surgery because John has had part of his jaw removed.
Farnham’s family have kept Australians updated on his health battle since announcing the singer had been hospitalised on August 23, after doctors discovered a tumour in his mouth.
“John has been through an eleven and a half hour surgery in Melbourne yesterday and is now in a stable condition in ICU. The cancer tumour was located in his mouth and it has been successfully removed. There is still a long road of recovery and healing ahead of us, but we know John is up for that task,” a family statement read.
“We are in awe of the Incredible teams of health care professionals who have guided us through this very challenging time with such compassion. All of you undertook this big job today and have given us a magnificent outcome. To all the surgeons, doctors, nurses and consultants – thank you one and all so very much.
“John will remain in hospital for a period of time for recovery and post operative treatment.”