While we know that it’s healthy to incorporate more vegetarian meals into our weekly menu, if you’re typically a meat-eater it can be difficult to find vegetarian recipes that are actually satisfying and don’t just feel like the meal is missing something.
These koftas replace the traditional meat with zucchini, but they’re so filling and full of flavour that you won’t miss it at all. Served with rice and a flatbread such as naan, they’re a bit of work but so worth it.
For the koftas:
For the sauce:
1. Mix together all kofta ingredients in a large mixing bowl and shape into meatball-sized balls.
2. Fry koftas in oil in batches until golden-brown. Set aside once cooked.
3. To make sauce, place oil into a pan and add all spices, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes.
4. Let tomatoes cook down, and remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before mixing the sauce with a stick mixer or blender.
5. Return the mixture to the pan and add coconut milk and half a cup of water. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
6. Add lime juice and add koftas back to the pan. Coat well with sauce.
7. Season with salt and simmer until sauce thickens.
8. Serve with rice and flatbread (such as naan).