Why not skip the meat for a night and tuck into this delicious vegetarian pumpkin schnitzel and potato mash? Instead of chicken, this version uses buttermilk pumpkin to fill you up and keep you satisfied. Meanwhile, the crispy outer layer is made up of Panko breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, hazelnuts and parsley – a truly mouth-watering combination. This recipe works great with a side of buttery mash and a simple leafy salad.
- 700g potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-4cm pieces
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- 500g buttermilk pumpkin, peeled
- 1 egg
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan with water. Season with salt. Bring to the boil over high heat. Gently boil, covered, for 15 minutes. Drain well and return to pan. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, cheddar, hazelnuts, parsley and 1/2 tbsp of oil in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut pumpkin into 1cm thick slices. Lightly beat egg on a shallow plate.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in the frying pan.
- Dip pumpkin into egg to cover all over. Press into breadcrumb mixture to coat all over.
- Place in the pan and fry on both sides. Transfer to paper towels to drain.