Are you a dessert lover? If you are, then this recipe is perfect for you! Trick your guests into believing you spent hours in the kitchen when you make this decadent, delicious but incredibly easy cheesecake.
- 2 packets of a biscuit base
- 120 grams of melted butter
- 3 x 250-gram packets of cream cheese, room temperature
- 250 grams of sour light cream
- 5 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups salted macadamias
- 2 x 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 20 grams butter
- 40 grams butter
- 300 ml cream
- 1 heaped tablespoon cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water to make a paste.
Make the base
Mix together and press into large spring-form tin. Using a small glass cup push the biscuit and mix up the sides of the spring-form in a circular motion as this will even out the base also. The biscuit base should form sides 3/4 the way up the side of the tin. Chill in the refrigerator while preparing the cheesecake.
Make the filling
- Beat cream cheese and sour cream together using an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Add lemon zest and eggs one at a time, beating slowly as you add an egg.
- Once all eggs are mixed in beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into base and cook in a 160 degrees C oven for 1 hour until just golden brown and slightly cracked.
- Allow to cool.
Make the salted caramel sauce
- Heat a saucepan with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 20 grams butter over low heat in a saucepan until melted, add macadamias and increase heat to medium until thick and nuts just begin to brown. Remove from saucepan and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 40 grams of butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar over low heat until melted. Add cream and whisk over medium heat as it starts to bubble add cornflour in a steady stream whisking at the same time to ensure a smooth sauce. Continue to whisk and allow the sauce to thicken without the base getting too hot (it will burn). This should take 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place roasted caramel macadamias on top of the cooked cheesecake, and spread evenly (you may have to heat them quickly, 30 seconds in the microwave if they are stuck together when cooled). Pour over caramel sauce and refrigerate in the spring-form tin for 1 hour. Remove from spring form and serve.