This creamy dish has long been a family favourite for dinners or lunch get-togethers, and it’s one that will continue to span the generations thanks to its delicious flavour. However, if you’re not looking to spend too long in the kitchen, why not give this fuss-free version a go?
With just ten minutes of preparation time, all you have to do for this easy meal is layer everything in your trusty slow cooker and let it cook on its own. It’s great for dinner parties as you can prepare it in the morning and have it completely ready to be served up fresh by the time your guests arrive. Yum!
- 8 chicken cutlets, excess fat trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 250ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 180ml (2/3 cup) passata
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 (375g) packet fresh egg fettuccine
- Chopped continental parsley, to serve
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Season the chicken. Place in pan, skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Drain and discard rendered fat from the pan. Heat oil in the same pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, add cornflour to a large jug. Gradually whisk in stock. Add cream, passata, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Add the cornflour mixture to the slow cooker. Cover.
- Cook on low for 3 1/2 hours. Add mushrooms. Cook for a further 20 minutes. Add pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.