You just can’t go wrong when you pair chicken and lemon, but this recipe is taking things to a whole new level! This scrumptious dish is cooked first in the pan to get all the incredible flavours working before being moved into the slow cooker and left to become tender and juicy over the next four hours. The end result is delicious, succulent chicken and a perfectly balanced lemon sauce that’ll have you wanting to lick the plate! Serve chicken with a side of mashed potatoes and steamed greens and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 6 chicken thigh cutlets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 400g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Capers, to serve
- Add flour to a shallow dish. Season well with salt and pepper. Place chicken pieces in flour and turn to coat all sides. Shake off excess. Reserve remaining flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. In batches, cook chicken for 4 minutes each or until well browned and cooked through completely. Transfer to a plate.
- Safely discard oil in a pan and wipe clean. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until browned. Add reserved seasoned flour to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in stock, rind and tarragon. Pour mixture into a 5.5L (22 cups) slow cooker. Layer chicken on top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Stir in lemon juice and season.
- Place chicken on a plate. Strain sauce into a large frying pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Place chicken on a plate. Spoon sauce over the top. Top with capers. Serve.