Looking for a new fabulous pie recipe? Well, we’ve got a great one for you that is perfect for this cooler weather.
Tell us, will you try making it?
- 500g beef brisket
- 1 cup plain flour
- 6 bacon rashers, diced
- 4 large field mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.5 cups shiraz
- 1 litre beef stock
- 8 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 4 french shallots, peeled, whole
- 1/2 bunch thyme leaves
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, washed and diced
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Cut the brisket into large pieces and place on a large plate that is lined with flour and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then coat the brisket in the seasoned flour.
- Heat a large oiled pan over medium heat to cook the brisket in batches until browned all over. Then, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Then add the bacon, mushroom, garlic, shallots and thyme to cook and stir on the pan. Stir until mushrooms have softened and shallots start to brown. Season accordingly.
- Add carrots and leek. Continue to cook for 3-6 minutes.
- Re-add the brisket to the pan, add red wine, deglaze the pan but stirring the bottom of the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally, add the stock and bring to a simmer, place the lid on the pan and simmer for 2-2 ½ hours.
- Now for the pastry. Lay on a clean flat surface, place the pie dishes onto the pastry cut around leaving a wide border for the sides of the dish.
- Cut the lids from the remaining pastry.
- Press pastry into greased pie dishes, spoon the mixture into the dishes and top with the remaining pastry lids. Brush with egg wash.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry has puffed and is golden.