Combining zesty lemon with the flavour of delicious poppy seeds gives these light and sweet biscuits a truly unique taste. Unlike other sickly sweet treats, these fresh biscuits are perfect for morning and afternoon tea when you’re not looking for anything too filling. They work perfectly alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee or pop them in an airtight container and they will stay fresh for a week. Otherwise, freeze a batch of them to defrost whenever you want. Enjoy!
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add egg. Beat together.
- Sift flour and baking powder over butter mixture. Add poppyseeds, lemon rind and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Spoon out tablespoons of mixture and roll into balls. Place on prepared trays with enough space to spread.
- Bake, one tray at a time, for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Serve.