This little beauty is the perfect meal to whip up ahead of Australia Day. It’s similar to Shepherd’s pie, but with a little Australian twist – vegemite! As strange as it might sound, it works perfectly and adds just the right amount of salt to season and adds depth to the flavour.
Top off the pie with beautiful light and fluffy mashed potato and sprinkle over some parmesan cheese and little knobs of butter for a lovely golden finish. It recipe makes enough for plenty of leftovers, which means you don’t have to worry about cooking every night for the rest of the week. Perfect!
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the lamb mince and cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 3-4 minutes until browned. Stir in the Vegemite. Transfer the lamb to a bowl and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and the white part of the spring onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
3. Mix in the peas, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce and stir thoroughly to combine. Return the lamb to the pan and add the stock. Stir to combine and season. Mix the green spring onions through the warmed mashed potato.
4. Divide the lamb mixture among four 2 cups (500ml) ramekins or place in a 2L pie dish, then top with the mashed potato and parmesan. Pattern mash with a fork and top with little dabs of butter.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Serve immediately.