This egg and lentil dahl recipe is the perfect meal for the transition into Spring. Not only is it simple to prepare but it’s healthy and delicious too.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) dried red split lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 fresh long green chilli (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 200g green beans, cut diagonally into thirds
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp lime juice,
- ⅓ cup (80ml) light coconut cream
- 80g kale and baby spinach salad mix
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Lime wedges and flat breads, to serve
- Place lentils, onion, ginger, garlic, curry powder, chilli and stock in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes or until lentils are tender, adding beans for the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add eggs and simmer for 6 minutes for soft-boiled eggs. Drain and stand in cold water. Peel and halve.
- Remove and discard chilli. Stir in lime juice, coconut cream, kale and spinach mix and half the coriander. Top dahl with remaining coriander and eggs. Serve with lime wedges and warmed chapati or naan bread.