This classic beef dish has stood the test of time as one of the greatest comfort foods to turn to when you’re in need of a filling meal that the whole family will enjoy. Thanks to the minimal ingredients and super simple method, this recipe is incredibly easy for cooks of any skill level to conquer.
Once you’ve tried it the first time, you’ll want to head back to this hearty dish time and time again. In under 45 minutes, this meal will be ready to be devoured which makes it perfect for busy weeknights when you just don’t have the time to be slaving away in the kitchen all night! Serve it up with some steamed veggies or your choice of pasta or rice and enjoy!
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 700g lean beef stir-fry strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef-style stock
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- Steamed vegetables, to serve
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly coat beef strips in flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Cook beef in a pan over high heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion for 3 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add mushrooms. Cook for 4 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- Return beef, onion and mushrooms to the frying pan. Add stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Leave to simmer for 8 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Serve with steamed vegetables.