Flans are always a crowd favourite but they never seem to be baked as often as they should be. This recipe makes the ideal coconut flan that is perfect for bringing along to any special event you have in the future. It’s soft, sweet and so mouthwateringly good but as you indulge in this delicious dish, it’s so light and easy that you’ll never feel like you’ve had too much. Unlike many other dessert treats, this tasty coconut flan is best served on its own so you can really appreciate the incredible flavours that are working together to make such a perfect sweet treat. Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 can (450ml) coconut milk
- 1 can (350ml) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place a 20cm round cake pan in a larger baking pan. Fill outer baking pan with hot water to about 1cm depth.
- Add sugar to small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until melted and golden brown. Pour sugar into cake pan. Remove cake pan from water. Quickly swirl melted sugar around bottom and sides of the cake pan to coat. Return pan to water.
- Add coconut milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs and vanilla to blender. Blend together to combine. Pour mixture into cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Gently run a knife around edges of the pan. Place a serving plate upside down on top of the round pan. Hold base tightly and quickly turn over. Gently shake mould to release flan. Top with coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Serve.