If you’re searching for a dessert to wow your guests at Christmas, this is the recipe for you.
The British royal family’s chefs, have revealed how they make traditional mince pies for Christmas, and they look delicious!
Mince pies have been eaten as a traditional British Christmas treat, since the 16th century.
This crumbly and sweet mince pie recipe is the perfect addition for your Christmas festivities.
A mixture of dried fruits, sugar, spices and brandy this incredible recipe is so tasty, the whole family will love it!
Ad. Article continues below.
- Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed orange
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp port (wine)
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 cup suet
- 3/4 cup golden sultanas
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup mixed peel
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 170g russet apples, peeled, grated
- 500g sweet pastry
- Egg washed (for sticking lids on bases)
- Granulated sugar (for top of mince pies before baking)
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Place suet, sultanas, raisins, mixed peel, currants, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Then add lemon, orange, brandy, port, rum, sherry and apples, and allow to soak for at least one week in a 1kg kilner jar sat in the fridge or pantry.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Roll pastry into sheet (approximately 3mm thick), place on tray, and allow to rest in the fridge.
- Once rested, cut tops and bottoms for mince pies, using cutters.
- Place pie bases into mince pie tin (32 x 24 cm), and prick them with small knife or fork (to prevent pastry from rising during baking).
- Spoon teaspoon of mince into the base and egg wash the edge of pastry to stick lids.
- Place the mince pies in fridge to rest for another 30 minutes, then add a pastry top to each, adding egg wash and pricking a small hole in each.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Place baking tray on middle shelf of oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before taking out of tins.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve immediately.