Is there a better dessert than a tasty slice? There are so many different variations available and it always makes for an enjoyable challenge in the kitchen. One that’s particularly yummy is this classic Australian coconut and strawberry jam slice. Bursting with a coconut flavour and fruity bits you’ll love, it’s the perfect tea-time treat. While this version uses strawberry jam, you can substitute with whichever flavour you like. Raspberry, apricot and blackberry are particularly tasty and work well with the coconut crumble. Another tasty idea is to add your favourite nuts to the coconut mixture to make your slice extra-crunchy. Store this slice in an air-tight container in the fridge and leave to soften on the bench for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Ad. Article continues below.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 125g cubed butter, chilled
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat over to 180°C.
- Grease and line a dish.
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar and butter to form crumby mixture.
- Add 1 egg and vanilla essence and mix until thick.
- Press mixture into pan.
- Bake for 25 mins or until brown.
- Spread strawberry jam over the top.
- Beat 2 eggs, sugar together, adding coconut when complete. Sprinkle over the slice.
- Cook for 2o mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool in pan for 20 mins before cutting into squares.