Matt Preston confirms new job days after sensationally quitting MasterChef

Share:
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Pinterest
Matt Preston has confirmed he will take on a guest host position with ABC Melbourne next week. Source: Getty

Food critic Matt Preston has confirmed a new job is on the horizon just days after his shock departure from hit show MasterChef.

The popular judge, who appeared on the Channel 10 cooking show alongside George Calombaris and Gary Mehigan for 11 seasons, announced he will be taking on a radio role next week.

Taking to social media on Thursday, Preston announced his appearance on ABC Melbourne‘s breakfast show from Monday onwards alongside host Jacinta Parsons.

“Looking forward to guesting on #ABCMelbourne’s breakfast show next week with @jacintaparsons,” he wrote on Instagram.

“We’ll be on air from 5.30am, Monday-Friday.”

The announcement comes just days after Channel 10 confirmed Calombaris, Mehigan and Preston would not be returning as judges to MasterChef in 2020 after after failing to reach a contractual decision.

Following the show’s season 11 finale on Tuesday evening, they all took to social media to explain why they really left the show. Mehigan thanked the fans, contestants and people who work on the show, but denied he was leaving because of money.

“It was time to move on, have more free time to explore our own creativity,” he said on Instagram. “It was never about the money and never will be about the money. We couldn’t agree on the term of the new contract for 2020 and season 12. Something we felt very strongly about.”

He also thanked his two co-stars and referred to them as “the three musketeers”.

Preston also took to Instagram to confirm he wasn’t returning, but said it wasn’t because he didn’t want to still be part of the show.

“Thank you so very much for supporting @masterchefau over the last 11 years. We have loved every single moment. It is however with a heavy heart that I can confirm that season 11 was our last,” he wrote. “We were really keen to continue but we were unable to agree to all terms for the new contract.”

He thanked Channel 10 for letting him be part of the show and spoke about mentoring some of the “brightest up-and-comers” in the Australian food scene. He also praised his co-stars.

“And of course, we three judges have formed a lifelong friendship that will live on far beyond the show,” the 57-year-old added. “I look forward to sharing many more adventures with you in the future. And finally I wish the new judges all the best with the show that we love so much.”

There had previously been calls for Calombaris – who has been at the centre of controversy for underpaying staff $7.8 million at establishments including Hellenic Republic, The Press Club and Gazi – to be fired from the hit show. The hashtag #MasterTheft was trending on Twitter on Tuesday, while more than 26,400 signed a petition for the chef to be canned from the show.

The 40-year-old didn’t say he was fired and claimed he was actually close to signing a new contract.

“We were close to signing a new contract for season 12 however the dates just didn’t align. Channel Ten, thank you for providing us the platform to change the landscape of food worldwide,” he said on Instagram. “To the next 3 judges and mentors, we wish you loads of success.”

The star – who was ordered to pay a massive $200,000 fine for the underpayment of employees – also thanked MasterChef’s contestants, teams and his two co-stars.

Will you be listening in to Matt Preston on ABC Melbourne‘s radio show? Are you sad to hear of Matt, George and Gary’s departures from MasterChef?

Leave your comment

Please sign in to post a comment.