In under 30 minutes, this creamy soup can be ready, prepared and on the table for the whole family to enjoy! Not only is it a super simple recipe with just a handful of everyday ingredients, but this dish is a healthier option to warm you up on a chilly day.
There’s no cream needed to achieve the incredible consistency, all you need are a few taste spices and a whole bunch of carrots. Meanwhile, if you’re keen to try it but you’re not a massive fan of carrot, sweet potato is a great replacement that will taste equally as good as the original recipe. Enjoy!
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 x 300g packets shredded carrot
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 orange, rind finely grated and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) vegetable liquid stock
- 1 Turkish loaf, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme leaves (or chives), plus extra, to serve
- Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot and onion. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in ginger, cumin, orange rind and half the garlic. Add orange juice, stock and 1 cup (250ml) water to pan. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until carrot has softened.
- Meanwhile, preheat chargrill pan over high heat. Combine remaining 2 tablespoon oil and garlic in small bowl. Lightly brush over both sides of bread. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side, until lightly charred.
- Remove soup from heat. Cool slightly. Use stick mixer to blend until smooth. Return to heat to warm through. Stir in lemon thyme. Season.
- Spoon soup evenly into serving bowls. Top with yoghurt. Sprinkle with extra lemon thyme leaves. Serve with the garlic toast.