The onion is such a universal ingredient that we use it in so many dishes. From salads to stews, we’re bound to chop an onion. But the one thing that most people don’t like is how it hurts our eyes.
Onions produce the chemical irritant known as syn-propanethial-S-oxide and this stimulates the eyes’ lachrymal glands so they release tears.
That’s why many prefer to quickly chop the onion so that the onion smell will have less time to hurt your eyes.
Many kitchen experts have discovered this to be the best way to dice an onion:
1. Trim the stem end of the onion.
2. Cut it into half and peel away the skin, leaving the root end intact.
3. Make horizontal cuts to the root end but not through.
4. Make length wise vertical cuts close to the root end but not through.
5. Finally, cut across the onion until you reach the root. Easy!
This video might help you learn more about the simple but smart technique…