If you could go back in time and give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
A recent poll of over-50s in the United Kingdom revealed a list of 30 life lessons, many of which included a wish to be wiser in their youth.
Encouraging yourself to always vote, pay off the credit card each month, look after your skin and teeth, and put family first were all among the top tips. Never smoke and listen to your parents were also key pieces of advice the survey respondents would give their younger selves.
The study was conducted by Amigo Loans and found that nine out of 10 parents and grandparents wished they knew then what they know now.
The group was keen to pass on their knowledge to the younger generation too, hoping that by doing so they were saving them from future heartache.
Little gems of wisdom many of those participating shared with their children and grandchildren included ‘life isn’t fair but it is good’ and ‘forgive and forget’ as well as a push to ‘keep in touch with loved ones’.
Interestingly, many of the 2,000 Britons said they wished they’d realised sooner that friendship was more important than sex, and that having children to save a relationship was not the right thing to do.
The over-50s guide to life
- Treat others as you would wish to be treated
- Never smoke
- Stay in touch with loved ones
- Always vote
- Pay off your credit cards every month
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you
- Don’t be a cheat
- Family comes first
- Don’t compare your life to others
- Spend less time online and more in the real world
- Don’t waste time in a job you hate
- Life isn’t fair, but it is good
- Read more books
- Don’t take yourself too seriously
- Time is a great healer
- Forgive and forget
- You don’t have to win every argument
- Don’t judge others
- Never have children to save a relationship
- Follow your gut instinct, it’s usually right
- No one likes a know it all
- Friendship is more important than sex in a relationship
- If a relationship has to be secret, you shouldn’t be in it
- Blood is thicker than water
- Make new friends and be sociable
- Don’t marry for money
- Learn to love your looks
- All that matters is that you are loved
- Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger
- Look after your skin