The effects of manmade pollution is everywhere.
Research published earlier this week on Nature.com shows that even the remotest of places in the world have evidence of pollution, like the 10km deep Mariana trench in the Pacific Ocean.
During the research two key types of severely toxic industrial chemicals were found. There were banned in the late 1970s, but do not break down in the environment.
The report indicated these persistant organic pollutants have been released into the environment through industrial accidents and discharges, leakage from landfills, or incomplete incineration
Approximately 65% is thought to be contained in landfills or still within electrical equipment, with the other 35% residing in coastal sediments and open oceans, the report said.
Alan Jamieson of Newcastle University in the UK, who led the research, told The Guardian that while we still think of the deep ocean as being this remote and pristine realm, safe from human impact, but our research shows that, sadly, this could not be further from the truth.
“The fact that we found such extraordinary levels of these pollutants really brings home the long-term, devastating impact that mankind is having on the planet,” he said.
The problem is pollutants entering the deep sea are deposited in sediments and can readily accumulate in the food chain.
Samples found for the study were collected using a full ocean depth rated lander vehicle.
Cool Australia is an organisation that aims to educate Australian’s on pollution reminding us that we are the only creatures in the history of our planet that creates rubbish that is not readily returned to our environment.
They offer information and advice on how to take action against pollution.