In a world where Donald Trump could become president and selfies are considered a hobby, there is plenty to be offended about. Now the Advertising Standards Bureau has released this year’s list of the most complained about ads, with some unexpected inclusions.
1. Many over 60s enjoy life as grey nomads, but this television advertisement got caravaners hot under the collar. Although it’s unclear why, since the offending line “bloody caravaners” is uttered by a… caravaner!
2. The dark side of dating website Ashley Madison was revealed this year, following a hack which identified members online. Like its website, Ashley Madison ads were equally offensive, especially with that controversial cheaters’ anthem.
3. A sloppy kiss between husband and wife was apparently cause for commotion. This ad from Fantastic Snacks received an inexplicable 85 complaints, based on sexualised content.
4. Periods proved a bit much for Australian viewers, with 76 complaints claiming this Unilever ad was ‘stereotypical’ towards women. It’s unclear what the average woman who has suffered from period pain would think of this funny sketch!
5. Sportsbet took out the fifth spot, because it showed a sweaty man gambling online whilst at the gym. Perplexingly though, viewers took more offence at his “mindless bogan” appearance, than with gambling itself.