For those who have a lot of mozzies around the house, it can be very annoying. While some mozzie bites are harmless, some can cause skin irritations and not to mention hospitalisation if they are the dangerous mozzie types. Some people prefer mosquito sprays which can be found in supermarkets but if you’re looking for a natural alternative which uses ingredients that you might already have, this might do the trick…
You will all of the items below to make a plastic bottle mosquito trap. Every item is easily found at your local grocery and hardware store.
An empty, plastic 2L bottle
A marker or pen
A box cutter
A tape measure
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-1 1/3 cup hot water
1 gram of yeast
Tape (duct, scotch, or electrical are fine)
1. Boil water until it is hot.
2. Cut the bottle into half using a cutter.
3. Once boiled, pour the hot water into the bottom half of the bottle.
4. Carefully add brown sugar to the hot water and let cool slightly for 20 minutes.
5. Add 1g of yeast. No mixing is needed as the yeast will consume the sugar and produce carbon dioxide, which attracts the mosquitoes.
6. Take the top half of the bottle and secure it into the bottom half, this time upside down, creating a trap.
7. Make sure the water is not too high so that the mosquito can fly into the bottle and down the trap.
8. Seal the connection between the two parts of the bottle with tape. Done!
Once you’ve caught enough mosquitoes, simply rinse out and repeat the process. That will help you save a lot of dollars.
Here’s a video to show you the complete steps…