Do you love Vegemite? This article is sure to get your stomach rumbling!
Harness the powerful taste of Vegemite with these 20 deliciously surprising recipes:
1. Vegemite chicken
650g chicken wings, split and without tips
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp Vegemite
Toasted sesame seeds for garnishing (optional)
1 tsp Vegemite
1 tbs honey
1 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs Shaoxing wine
A dash white pepper powder
1. Marinade chicken for at least 3 hours or overnight.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan on high heat. Add chicken wings and stir fry till lightly brown on all sides. Set leftover marinade aside.
3. Add in honey, dark soy sauce and vegemite to the chicken, stir fry and mix well. Add in marinade, coat chicken well and simmer till the sauce is thickened, dark and syrupy.
4. Taste and if required, add a splash of light soy to taste.
5. Serve with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, steaming hot white rice and a side of stir fried veggies. Perfect.
2. Vegemite Ratatouille Tarts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely sliced
- 1 small eggplant, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 300g jar salsa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons Vegemite
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 16 sheets filo pastry
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup grated KRAFT Tasty Cheese
- Fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and chilli for 2-3 minutes. Add the vegetables, salsa, tomato paste, Vegemite, sugar, pepper and water. Simmer for 6-8 minutes. Cool before stirring in eggs and parsley.
- Spray each sheet of filo with oil and make 4 stacks with 4 sheets in each. Cut each stack into 6 squares and press each into a greased 1/3 cup capacity muffin pan. Spoon in the vegetable filling and then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven 180 C for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set and golden brown. Serve hot or cold.
3. Cheesy Vegemite Pull-Apart
Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift flour into a bowl. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre. Add milk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until mixture forms a soft dough, adding more milk if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth (don’t over-knead).
Roll out to a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Spread Vegemite over dough, leaving a 1cm strip along 1 long side. Sprinkle cheese over Vegemite. Roll up firmly. Transfer to prepared tray, seam-side down.
Using scissors, cut into top of dough at 3cm intervals without cutting all the way through. Pull slices to the left and right. Brush with milk. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Serve.
4. Vegemite Cheesecake
Ingredients (make 5 cheesecakes in 7″ ramekins)
- 2 cups / 180 gram graham cracker crumbs (I used scotch fingers, Oreos is also a favourite)
- 100 gram butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. / 24 gram sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 650 gram of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (or the innards of a vanilla bean)
- 2 tsp Vegemite (it will be a subtle taste, if you want stronger taste, add more)
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Mix together the crust ingredients and press into ramekins. You can press the crust just into the bottom, or up the sides of the pan too – baker’s choice. Set crust aside.
3. Combine cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand-mixer (or in a large bowl if using a hand-mixer) and cream together until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Make sure to scrape down the bowl in between each egg. Add heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice, and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Heat up 2 tablespoon of heavy milk in microwave then add the Vegemite and stir. Add it into the mixture and stir well.
5. Pour batter into prepared crust and tap the ramekins on the counter a few times to bring all air bubbles to the surface. Place ramekins into a large baking tray and pour boiling water into the tray until halfway up the side of the ramekins.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until it is almost done – this can be hard to judge, but you’re looking for the cake to hold together, but still have a lot of jiggle to it in the center. You don’t want it to be completely firm at this stage. Close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let rest in the cooling oven for one hour. This lets the cake finish cooking and cool down gently enough so that it won’t crack on the top. After one hour, remove cheesecake from oven and lift carefully out of water bath. Let it finish cooling on the counter, and then cover and put in the fridge to chill. Once fully chilled, it is ready to serve.
To make the Vegemite chocolate ganache, melt 250 gram of chocolate, 150ml heavy cream and 2 teaspoon of Vegemite in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Drizzle the melted chocolate all over cheesecake and spread evenly. Enjoy!
5. Meat Pies with Vegemite
Have you tried these recipes before? Why not give it a go? Tell us what you think below!