You can tell just by looking at this soup that it’s going to taste amazing. It’s full of beautiful Asian flavours and plenty of healthy extras to give your immune system a boost and get your metabolism pumping. Turmeric is known for its healing benefits and is hailed as one of natures natural anti-inflammatories, which makes it a great ingredients to add to your meals throughout the week. Here, it’s paired with the classic chicken and noodle soup for one of the tastiest and most comforting meals you’ll ever eat. Dig in!
- 250g vermicelli noodles
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli, chopped
- 3 spring onions, white part chopped, green part thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked, roots and stems reserved
- 8cm piece turmeric, roughly chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk (inner core only), roughly chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon tamarind puree (available at your supermarket)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
1. For the soup base, pulse white spring onion, coriander root and stems, turmeric, lemongrass, chilli, peanuts, tamarind, fish and soy sauces in a small food processor for 20 seconds to roughly chop.
2. Add 1/2 cup of stock and blitz until smooth. Add coconut milk and remaining stock and blitz to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer soup to a pan over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add 2L water and bring to the boil, then add noodles and cook for 2 minutes or until tender, adding corn and broccoli for the final 1 minute of cooking.
4. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with coriander leaves and sliced spring onion and serve with extra fish sauce.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.