This delicious dish combines the indulgence of red meat with the health benefits of a fantastic salad. With beetroot in the mix, it’s an excellent source of fibre, and potassium. And don’t discard the leaves – they’re as rich in nutrients as spinach!
- 12 French-trimmed lamb cutlets
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tbs dried oregano
- 500g baby beetroot, trimmed
- 200g green beans, trimmed
- 100g baby spinach
- 125g marinated feta, drained, crumbled
- 1/3 cup (35g) toasted walnuts,
- roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) walnut oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) raspberry vinegar
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
You will need metal skewers for this recipe.
- For the walnut dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl, season, then set aside. Brush the lamb with 2 tbs oil, then rub the meat all over with oregano. Season and set aside.
- Place the beetroot in a large saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, peel, then halve.
- Preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan to medium-high.
- Toss the beetroot in a bowl with the remaining 1 tbs oil, season, then thread onto metal skewers.
- Cook, turning once, for 6-8 minutes until lightly charred. Remove the beetroot from the skewers, then cut in half lengthways and set aside.
- Add the lamb to the barbecue and cook for 3-4 minutes each side until lightly charred but still pink in the centre or until cooked to your liking. Loosely cover with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch the beans in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes until just tender.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water. Combine the beans, spinach and beetroot on a serving platter and drizzle with dressing.
- Top with lamb cutlets and sprinkle with feta and walnuts to serve.
This recipe was originally published in Feel Good Food by Valli Little, and is shared here courtesy of ABC Books. Click here to learn more about this great cookbook range!