This amazing banana bread is the perfect choice for “bring a plate” occasions – I’ve brought it along to various birthday parties over the years and never, ever had leftovers to take home!
This variation is a real winner: moist, packed with flavour and simple enough to prepare with grandkids.
- Four bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 150g of plain flour
- 1 punnet of fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup of fig jam
- 200g of self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup of raw sugar
- 1/4 cup of grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup of canola oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla essence (to taste)
- 100g butter
- 1/4 of icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Grease your baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Sift all flour (both regular and self-raising) into a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon, raw sugar and cinnamon.
- Dig a small hole into the centre of the mixture. Inside it, add the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla essence and oil.
- Stir – not too long – until the ingredients combine.
- Add the raspberries and gently mix throughout.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 90 minutes (or until a skewer in the centre comes out clean). Set aside for 15-20 minutes before turning over to cool completely.
Fig butter (for glazing):
- Pour the butter and icing sugar into a bowl and whip until creamy.
- Add the fig jam and whip until smooth.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe for the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Simply fill in the form below.