Since it was revealed, this no knead bread recipe has taken the internet by storm – it’s not only delicious but it can be made with just four ingredients! Why not give it a go?
It doesn’t have to look perfect either – that’s the idea. It’s great for those who want a nice bread but don’t have time to knead it.
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed
- Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl then add 1 and 5/8 cups water, stirring until blended. The dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then let the dough rest between 12-18 hours, at warm room temperature.
- The dough will be ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with Glad wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
- Dust flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, then gently and quickly shape the dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on a tea towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton tea towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not spring back when poked with a finger.
- At least a half-hour before the dough is ready, heat oven to 230 degrees. Put a 6L heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is OK! Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.