Making perfect shortbread can be a tricky task. Some are too crumbly, some are too hard, some are too sweet and some aren’t sweet enough.
This recipe is simple, easy to follow and you are guaranteed to take some beautiful shortbread out of the oven.
- 250g full-fat butter (softened)
- 2/3 cups of pure icing sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Process all ingredients, except caster sugar in a food processor until the mixture becomes like fine breadcrumbs
- Press mixture together until it forms a dough. Divide the dough in two.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Using a shaped cutter, cut shapes from the dough. Transfer to baking trays lined with baking paper and sprinkle with caster sugar if desired.
- Bake at 160oC for 30 minutes or until dry and firm but still pale.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and dust lightly with icing sugar.