Sometimes you just need something light and easy for dinner and these corn fritters are perfect! They’re so easy to make and are packed with flavour from all the corn, coriander and spring onions.
Fry them in the pan with a little oil until they’re crispy and golden then serve with a fresh salad and a dollop of yogurt. If you’re cooking them up for brunch try serving topped with bacon and avocado or a few slices of smoked salmon. Delish! Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top and you’ve got yourself one super tasty meal!
- 125g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125ml low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 300g frozen corn kernels
- 3 spring onions
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the milk and eggs. Using a wooden spoon, combine the milk and eggs, then gradually draw in the flour from around the edges. Beat with the spoon to make a smooth, thick batter.
2. Add the corn, extra spring onions, chilli and coriander to the batter. Season with pepper and stir well.
3. Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat, then brush with a little of the oil. Drop large spoonfuls of the batter onto the pan – make about four fritters at a time – and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden and firm on the underside. Turn the fritters over and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. Remove the fritters from the pan and drain on paper towel. Keep warm while cooking the rest of the fritters, adding more oil to the pan as necessary.
5. Serve corn fritters hot off the pan with a dollop of yogurt and a squeeze of lemon.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.