There are hundreds of different carrot cake recipes out there, but the twist on this one really makes it extra special. It’s full of all the beautiful spices you’d find in most carrot cakes, but uses crushed pineapple to bring even more flavour and create that super moist finish. The end result is a cake that you’ll keep coming back to time and time again for special occasions or for when you just feel like baking! The icing on top is made even more delicious by using grated lemon rind to create that lovely lemony and fresh finish with every bite. Yum!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup grated carrot (see notes)
- 1/2 x 440g can crushed pineapple in juice, well drained (see notes)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts, plus extra 2 tablespoons to decorate
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lemon cream cheese icing
- 125g cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in raw sugar, carrot, pineapple, walnuts and sultanas. Make a well. Whisk eggs and oil in a jug. Pour into well. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a baking paper-lined wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Make Lemon Cream Cheese Icing: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and rind until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, beating well after each addition.
5. Spread icing on top of cake. Decorate with extra walnuts. Serve.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.