A well-known if controversial dish, as some people don’t like using soft drinks in cooking. You may prefer to use a low-sugar cola – it’s totally up to you as both work – or to use steak or diced beef, or even other red meats. Keep in mind the volume of cola in each actual serve will be minimal.
Preparation: 5 mins
Cook: 8 hours
- 1.5–2 kg roasting beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 375 ml (1½ cups) cola soft drink, or diet cola
- 40g French onion soup mix, dry
- 420g tinned condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch), to thicken
- Vegetables, to serve
- Put the beef in a slow cooker. Scatter over the onion.
- Put the cola, soup mix and mushroom soup in a medium bowl and combine.
- Pour the mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove the beef and set aside. If the sauce needs thickening, combine the cornflour with a little water and add to the sauce in the slow cooker. Stir until the sauce thickens.
- Carve the beef and serve with the sauce and vegetables of your choice.