Lemon and coconut are such fresh flavours and combined with vanilla and maple syrup they make a super tasty and slightly addictive slice! The great thing about this little beauty is that it requires no baking and very little cooking time. Just heat all the ingredients together on the stove, then leave in the fridge to set! Slice it up and enjoy as a morning or afternoon snack!
- 2 cups (160 grams) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
1. Line a 23×13 cm loaf pan with parchment paper. Cut a length of baking paper long enough to line the bottom of the pan with extra hanging over the sides (it will be used to remove the batter from the pan once it’s chilled).
2. In a saucepan combine the coconut, lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Cook, over low heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, until the shredded coconut has softened and absorbed some of the oil.
3. Remove from heat. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Firmly pack the mixture down and refrigerate for at least two hours.
4. Using the baking paper hanging, remove from the pan and cut into bars.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.