If you’re having an Aussie Christmas this year, odds are you’ll need a way to try and beat the heat. Why not try out this mouth watering frozen dessert? It’s a sure way to round off any successful festive celebration.
Layered passionfruit ice cream and macadamia nut meringue
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 100g macadamia roasted
- 120g free range egg whites
- 225g castor sugar
- 1 ½ tspn corn flour
- 1 tspn Verjuice
- ¼ tspn unsalted butter
- 1 tub Passionfruit Ice Crea,
- Preheat fan forced oven to 140C.
- Place the roasted macadamia nuts into a food processor and pulse until it resembles course crumbs. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a cake mixer, whisk on high speed until the egg whites are stiff. While the mixer is still going, slowly add the sugar one bit at a time in a steady stream, this should take about 3 minutes.
- When the mix is shiny, silky smooth and stiff, add the roasted macadamia nuts, corn flour and Verjuice. Continue to whisk for 30 seconds then stop.
- Line a baking tray (34cm X 25cm) with baking paper. Spread the meringue onto the tray until it is two centimetres thick.
- Place in the oven and cook for 35 minutes, remove from the oven and gently place onto a cooling rack.
- Once the meringue has cooled, trim the ends and divide the slab into three pieces, each 11 centimetres by 25 centimetres in size.
- Spread 250 millilitres of Passionfruit Ice Cream on top of one of the pieces of meringue then place another piece on top of this and layer with the remaining 250 millilitres of Passion Fruit Ice Cream and finally place the last piece of meringue on top.
- Using a kitchen blow torch lightly brown the top layer, and place back into the freezer until ready to serve.
Check out some other great recipes at maggiebeer.com.au
For even more ideas, have a look at Maggie’s Christmas recipe book, which you can buy here.