Honey chicken is always one of the most popular recipes on a Chinese takeaway menu and for good reason too! The sweet and crunchy dish is the perfect blend of Asian flavours. The only problem is it’s usually laden with calories and saturated fat, which isn’t doing anyone’s waistline any good! Thankfully, this recipe offers a tasty alternative without all the bad stuff. Now, we’re not saying this is the healthiest recipe on the block, but everyone deserves a treat every now and then!
- 750 g chicken breast fillet cut into strips
- 4 tbs sesame seeds
- 6 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 4 tbs cornflour
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup soda water
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Add all the batter ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. The batter should be thick and glossy. Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Add chicken to batter.
3. Heat oil until a cube of bread sizzles in the oil.
4. Fry chicken in batches, do not over-crowd. Meanwhile, steam or boil broccoli then set aside
5. Toss chicken in honey and serve garnished with sesame seeds and broccoli and a side of steamed rice.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.