This beautiful strawberries and cream sponge cake is an absolute delight and best of all it’s super easy to make! It’s hard to believe that all this deliciousness comes from just five ingredients, but the proof is in the pudding – or in this case the cake. It only takes about 15 minutes to whip up, while assembling the lot is even easier. Serve up a slice with a cup of tea and enjoy every mouthful!
- 270g almond meal
- 6 egg whites
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 cups thickened cream
- strawberries, quartered
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease two 23cm cake tins with butter.
2. Sift almond meal into a bowl.
3. Beat egg whites and caster sugar together with an electric on a medium speed until stiff peaks form.
4. Carefully fold egg white mixture into almond meal, then divide batter between cake tins and bake for 20 minutes or until springy to touch. Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from tins to cool completely.
5. Beat thickened cream with an electric beater for two minutes, then spread half on top of one cake. Top with half the strawberries then top with second cake. Finish by topping with the rest of the cream and strawberries.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.