This recipe really is a classic. It comes in so many variations with every family seeming to add their own twist until it’s just right and to their liking. This version is lighter than others thanks to the addition of fennel, which adds a lovely aroma and taste to the whole dish. The mash potato is also extra special thanks to a delicious parmesan topping that a little bit of crunch to every bite. Yum!
- 800g potatoes, washed, peeled, chopped
- 375ml can light and creamy evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 600g firm white fish fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g smoked cod fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Cook potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan over low heat. Add 1/3 cup milk. Mash until smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add flour and mustard. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in fish, dill, lemon rind and remaining milk. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon into an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Top with potato. Mix bread crumbs, parsley and parmesan together in a bowl then sprinkle over mash potato. Bake for 30 minutes or until potato and topping are golden. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.