For some, chocolate cake is the ultimate comfort food; dense rich flavours and that delicious taste that just makes you feel good inside! Thankfully, with this recipe you can enjoy that chocolatey goodness anytime due to a truely healthy twist on a classic desert. This amazing cake is is dairy-free and has no flour or added sugar. The sweetness comes from the use of pitted dates, while coconut oil makes it incredibly moist and rich. Sounds like a winner to us!
- 200g unsweetened cooking chocolate or at 70% cocoa chocolate
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ cup (200g) pitted dates
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a food processor, pulse chocolate, cocoa powder and baking soda until texture of coarse sand. Pulse pitted dates, then eggs, coconut oil and vanilla.
3. Transfer the batter into a 8×8 inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving. If you’re feeling good about all the calories you’ve already saved then serve it up with a nice dollop of thickened cream!
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.