This recipe is from Fran’s grandmother and is an incredibly moist fruit cake that can be enjoyed with a tea and with friends.
- 125 grams butter
- 250 grams sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 250 grams each of currants, sultanas and raisins
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon spice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 65 grams mixed peel
- 65 grams chopped almonds
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup each of plain flour and SR flour
- Boil all ingredients together except eggs and flour.
- Beat eggs till frothy and fold into mixture. Then add sifted flours.
- Place in 8 inch (20 centimetre) tin and bake in moderate oven (170 degrees) for 1.5 hours.
If you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.