This recipe will show you how to turn your basic beef burger into a delicious must-have barbecue special. It contains the perfect ratio of bread, beef, toppings and sauce. There’s a reason we’re calling it the best-ever Aussie burger. It will not disappoint.
Our favourite burger ingredient: beetroot. Take a look at the recipe below and let us know what you think!
Prep: 15 minutes – Cook: 30 minutes – Serves: 4 people
- 20g butter
- 2 large red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 garlic clover, crushed
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (130g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 (740g) angus beef burgers
- 4 tasty cheese slices
- 4 freshly baked round rolls, split
- 1 green oak leaf lettuce, leaves separated
- 225g can sliced beetroot, drained
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, thickly sliced
- Barbecue sauce, to serve
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until it begins to caramelise. Then, add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, place the mayonnaise and paprika in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a barbecue flat-plate over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 3 minutes each side or until cooked. Place 1 cheese slice on top of each patty and cook for 1 minute or until melted.
- Top bread roll bases with lettuce, beetroot, tomato and mayonnaise. Then place patties, onion, space and roll on top!
Are you going to barbecue this Australia Day? Share with us below!