Eggnog is fast becoming more and more popular in Australia and this iced version is the perfect way to cool down on a hot Christmas day. There’s a lot of different recipes for eggnog out there, but many of them end up just tasting like sweet milk. This version is absolutely delicious though and full of Christmas flavour. Make a batch on Christmas Eve and serve it up as a special treat on Christmas day. If you really want to take things to the next level, add a dollop of whipped cream on top and dust with a little grated nutmeg.
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup pure (thin) cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 100ml each brandy, rum & sherry
- Ice cubes
- Whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Ground or freshly grated nutmeg, to dust
1. Place sugar and cinnamon quills in a saucepan with 1/2 cup cold water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 1 minute, then remove and cool. Combine 100ml of the syrup in a blender with eggs, cream, milk and alcohol. Pour into glasses over ice and serve with cream if using and dusted with nutmeg.
If you’d like to see more recipes from Starts at 60, click here. And if you have a recipe you’d like to share with the Starts at 60 community – we’d love to share it! Submit them to us by completing the form below.