Prince of Penzance’s return confirms Michelle Payne’s disappointment 6



View Profile
Michelle Payne is heartbroken once again.

Michelle Payne was understandably upset when she discovered she wouldn’t be riding Prince Of Penzance in the Memsie Stakes on August 29 at Caulfield.

But now that the 2016 Melbourne Cup entries have been announced with Prince of Penzance back for another crack, the heartbreak becomes real for Payne.

Michelle Payne who rode Prince Of Penzance to a Melbourne Cup win in 2015 have not been listed as the jockey.

Managing-owner John Richards said the horse’s owners were only thinking of Payne’s best interests.

“She’s had medical advice not to ride again, which she’s chosen to ignore,” Richards said. “Her friends and family have also told her not to ride. We’ve taken these things into account. We’ve always had the best interests of ­Michelle at heart.

Recently, Michelle’s father Paddy Payne Sr said he was “very surprised that they’ve taken her off”. “Is that how you treat a Melbourne Cup-winning jockey?” he asked.

“They could have given her a few more weeks. She’s keen and riding and working very hard.”

Previously, Payne said that she does not want to give up and in fact has been doing everything she can to get back into the saddle. Some sports fans warn that Payne could surprise everyone by riding another horse but nothing has been confirmed so far.

Defending champion Prince of Penzance and German-trained 2014 winner Protectionist are among the 124 entries taken today for the 2016 Melbourne Cup.

Ballarat horseman Darren Weir, Prince of Penzance’s trainer, has 11 entrants in total, while Irish trainer Aidan O’Brien has seven, including Ascot Gold Cup winner Order Of St George.

Do you have any advice for Payne?

Starts at 60 Writers

The Starts at 60 writers team seek out interesting topics and write them especially for you.

  1. I can’t believe they have treated her this way. They obviously are totally sexist.. So sad for such a talented jockey.

    1 REPLY
    • It’s not sexist, it’s common sense. If she had medical advice not to ride they’d be foolhardy to let her, & they would get blamed if things went pear shaped.

  2. If she has had medical advice not to ride again owners would be silly to ignore it. Surely an OH&S issue?

  3. I think Michelle was right when she said there are a lot of male chauvinists in the sport of horse racing. I think as the reigning Melcourne Cup jockey they should give her every opportunity to prove her fitness.

  4. Maybe the owners/Trainor has a duty of care!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *