The yellowing of pillows is a fairly common problem. It’s mainly caused by sweat and the type of fabric your pillowcase is made from. However, even if you have pillow covers underneath your pillow cases, the yellowing can still occur. Many people simply toss the pillow and buy a new one when this occurs however, there is a solution. It’ll work like a charm!
For starters, did you know you’re supposed to wash your pillows twice a year!?
- HOT water
- 1 cup laundry detergent
- 1 cup powdered dishwasher detergent
- 1/2 cup bleach
Before washing check the care label on the pillow to confirm it can machine washed.
Image source: Practicallyfunctional.com
- Start the machine and make sure all the detergent dissolves before adding the pillows (top loading washing machine). For a front loading machine, fill a tub with the mixture and do the soaking there before transferring to washing machine.
- Once dissolved, add the pillows and allow the washer to fill the rest of the way with hot water.
- Agitate the pillows for several minutes; turn pillows over to make sure the top of the pillow get the full effect.
- Put machine on a second rinse cycle or just run through twice.
- Down/feather pillows: use low key setting. Place couple of tennis balls in clean socks to help fluff the pillows as they tumble dry. Or simply set pillows outside in the sun to dry.
Will you try this? When was the last time you washed your pillows?