Easter is a wonderful time of year and it’s often when we let ourselves indulge a little more than we’d care to admit! But if you want to kick the bad habits and think healthy this week, don’t stress because there are some wonderful, delicious and easy to make healthy manufactured chocolate egg alternatives.
So try some of these this week! Even get the grandkids cooking with you – they might love it too!
Basic healthy and sugar free chocolate recipe
- 3/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 4 tbs coconut oil (melted to room temperature)
- 1 tbs sweetener (Stevia, honey, maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix sweetener into coconut oil
- Once mixed through, slowly add cocoa or cacao, stirring as you go
- Pour into moulds of your choosing and store in refrigerator until solid
Healthy Cadbury Creme Egg
Make above chocolate mixture and pour into large easter egg moulds.
- 1 tub cream cheese
- 1 tbs sweetener
- Tinned peaches (drained and diced)
- Mix sweetener through cream cheese
- Take moulded easter egg halves and fill 3/4 with cream cheese mixture
- Place small amount of diced peaches in the centre of each egg half
- Seal two halves together using more chocolate mixture and refrigerate until solid and joined
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Natural (no added sugar) peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powdered stevia (whizz it in the blender!)
- 2 cups dark chocolate (80 per cent cocoa) chips
- Stir powdered sugar through peanut butter until a dough forms. For firmer dough, add more sugar
- Break into small sections and shape into easter egg ovals or flat ovals (more like a cookie)
- Freeze for two hours
- Melt chocolate chips over a low stove temperature
- Once liquid, cool slightly and begin dipping frozen balls into mixture.
- Return to freezer for two hours and enjoy!