While everyone knows to use slow-cookers for soups, casseroles, slow-cooked meats and curries, there are some things that people don’t realise that the slow cooker can be used for. Here’s a list:
- Apple-spiced butter: Capture freshness in a jar! Creating this highly concentrated form of applesauce is super easy in a slow cooker, and your home will smell wonderful at the end of it all. Here’s an example recipe, but there’s many more on the internet available.
- Chicken wings: Who doesn’t love a big steaming plate of chicken wings? Slow cooked chicken wings are not something that people would think of, and they will be ready anywhere between 3-7 hours, depending on the temperature you decide to cook at.
- Brownies: Whip up a batch of ooey, gooey Triple Chocolate Brownies in your crock pot.
- Oats: Making oats seem like too much effort? You can actually cook a big batch of oats with some berries and other fruits you like in your slow cooker. Also, slow cooked meals freeze really well, so you can make a big batch on the weekend and freeze it to reheat for a breakfast each day of the week.
- Cupcakes: Did you know that you could bake cupcakes in a slow cooker? This isn’t a well-known fact, but the cupcakes that are baked in a slow cooker are completely easy and ready in 8 hours.
- Ribs: Barbecue purists may debate the method, but you can’t really go wrong with slow cooked barbecued ribs.
- Potatoes: Everyone loves potatoes, but what if you could have great baked, loaded potatoes waiting for you as soon as you walk in at dinner time? Just a bit of prep in the morning and adding all the ingredients you like to the top of these potatoes will guarantee a delicious-smelling, mouth-watering meal waiting at the end of the day.
- Cakes: While you can always bake a cake, very few people know that you can slow-cook it. This recipe of White Chocolate Raspberry and Cream Cake is an amazing recipe to try out, either for a gathering or just on a regular weeknight.