Sometimes germs can be good for us as they boost our immune system but more often then not, germs are not welcomed! Sneezing children or dirty handles in public areas are the reason we need emergency hand sanitiser.
Commercial hand sanitiser does the job but if you despise the smell or the chemicals used, than an organic option could be for you. We have the ingredients and method right here to make a DIY gentle hand sanitiser.
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil (lavender has a strong smell, so if you are not a fan choose a sent like rosemary, sage, or peppermint)
- 30 drops tea tree essential oil – this is a 0.5% concentration (tea tree oil is strong so test on you hand for allergic reaction before adding this ingredient)
- 1 Tablespoon high-proof vodka or vinegar
- 200 grams of 100% pure aloe vera gel (aloe vera oil will sooth your hand after cleaning it)
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon Vitamin E Oil – a natural preservative to increase shelf life
- Spray bottle similar to the commercial bottle.
- Add essential oils and Vitamin E oil to a small glass bowl or container and swirl to mix
- Add vodka or vinegar to the oils and swirl again
- Add this mixture to the aloe vera gel and mix well
- Shake gently before each use.
(Sanitiser should last several months with the addition of Vitamin E to help preserve.)
Tell us, will you try this DIY recipe? Do you use hand sanitiser?