Is your inbox looking a little cluttered? Are you finding it hard to find past emails among the sheer mess that it already houses? There’s a solution, of course!
Delete! Delete! Delete!
The first thing you should do? Delete stuff. Delete as much as you possibly can. Be ruthless about it. Don’t delete anything that you might need, obviously, like important receipts, password information, or reminders. Something like a notification from Facebook telling you that it’s someone’s birthday… yeah, that can go.
For someone who doesn’t delete their emails, this will clear up your inbox considerably. In fact, it might take you a long while if you’re the type to leave hundreds of emails unread in your inbox. For those of you who have thousands of unread emails, well … this process will be a lot more impractical for you.
File away your emails
Following this act of ruthless deletion, if your inbox is still looking a little too messy for your liking, there’s something else you can do: categorise. What this essentially means is that you can create different folders or labels for your emails and then file your emails under each of these different folders accordingly. For instance, if you’ve been doing a little online shopping, and getting lots of confirmation emails for your orders, you might want to keep them in a folder called, ‘Shopping Receipts’.
Though there are a lot of email hosts out there, the steps are generally the same. Here’s how to do it on a couple of sites.
- Go to Gmail on your browser and login to your account
- You’ll see a sidebar on the left-hand side of your screen with different email categories including ‘Ibox’ and ‘Sent Mail’. Click on ‘More‘
- This will expand the sidebar selection. You’ll see a section that says ‘Categories’. Click on ‘Create new label‘ under this section
- In the dialogue box that pops up, type in the name of your label. You’ll see your new label under the left-hand sidebar
- Click and drag your emails into this label to file them
- When you want to find emails under this label you’ll need to click on the label to see them.
- Login to your email account on Outlook.com
- On the sidebar on the left-hand side you will see the ‘Folders‘ with different email categories, including ‘Inbox’ and ‘Junk Email’. Hover your mouse over this title
- Beside the word ‘Folders’ you will see a plus sign. Click on plus sign to create a new folder
- At the bottom of your side there will be a new entry for a new folder. Type the name of your new folder into this entry and press Enter on your keyboard
- The new folder will be updated with the name you have assigned it and will fall in under the folders on the left-hand sidebar
- Click and drag your emails into this folder to file them
- When you want to find emails under this folder you just need to click on the folder to see them.
Being able to file your emails under different categories will not only clear up your inbox, but it will also introduce some order to your emails. Finding certain emails will be easier, your inbox will be less of an eyesore, and important emails will be less likely to become lost amongst a sea of spam.