For many years we’ve had society’s expectations to deal with, no matter what gender we are. As a woman, we can feel pressured to look beautiful, youthful and graceful, and as a man in today’s world, the pressure to be a real man is in every hardware store or car ad. But what is it that truly makes you or your partner a real man? A study has found out!
According to a study of 2,000 adults by bookmakers William Hill, there are 50 things that a man can do to make him a real man, with the number one response being ‘his anniversary date’.
Other things we expect a real man should be able to do are tie a tie, polish his shoes and light a BBQ, but are those a little bit too obvious? Some other requirements of being a real man were knowing when to accept defeat and apologise, and when a woman says ‘Do what you want’, do not do what you want!
A William Hill spokesman told Daily Mail, “The results show the range of skills, facts and ways of thinking that we associate with the modern man.
“It shows a good blend of traditional values long associated with masculinity and the ability to master tasks that perhaps don’t come as easily to the modern man.
“Having confidence balanced with an attentive nature and, of course, a bit of sporting knowledge, should set men up well when checking themselves against the list”.
So how did the survey respondents do when they measured themselves up against the list? 46 per cent were able to call themselves a man, and the rest weren’t up to scratch…apparently!
Check out the list for yourself below and tell us, how many of these manly indicators can you or your partner tick off? Are they really that important? What is a real man to you?
Top 50 things every real man should know
1. His wedding anniversary date
2. Basic DIY
3. How to change a light bulb
4. How to tie up a tie
5. How to read a map
6. His partner’s favourite drink
7. How to iron a shirt
8. How to change a tyre
9. How to wet shave correctly
10. The right amount of aftershave to use
11. How to change a fuse
12. When a woman says ‘I’m fine’ she is not fine
13. How to put up a shelf
14. How to polish his shoes
15. How to give a confident handshake
16. How many inches are in a foot
17. When to accept defeat and apologise
18. Know the offside rule
19. The year England won the World Cup
20. How to do his own laundry
21. How to fix a bike puncture
22. How to jumpstart a car
23. How to parallel park
24. The difference between ale and lager
25. The best way to carve meat
26. His own height
27. How to drive in snow
28. What wires represent earth, live and neutral
29. How to introduce himself
30. His parents’ address
31. What the football scores were at the weekend
32. How to light a BBQ
33. When a woman says ‘Do what you want’ do not do what you want
34. How to change oil
35. What the biggest recent football transfers are
36. How to build a fire
37. Which way is north
38. How to use the contents of the toolbox
39. How to tune in a telly
40. How many miles are left after the petrol light appears
41. How to fix a toilet
42. How to put someone in a recovery position
43. His personal alcohol limits
44. Change a battery on a car
45. How to get a car unstuck
46. The words to the national anthem
47. How to change a nappy
48. How to perform CPR
49. How to put up a tent
50. Who are favourites to win the Premier League