Bras are an essential for us ladies, but they aren’t as straightforward as they seem. There’s straps, hooks, cup size and all the types to choose from. When it comes down to it though, we all just want bras that fit and feel good.
So how can you make it easy to wear your bra comfortably? Here’s some of the most clever bra hacks we found, and we think you’ll love them.
1. Common bra complaints and how to solve them
Too much uplift or ‘four boobs’: This means the cups and back are too small. Increase your cup and band size.
Drooping breasts: This means the back of the bra is too loose and so are the straps. Try adjusting your straps, otherwise pick out a bra with a smaller back size.
Bra stands out, off breasts: If the front of your bra doesn’t sit flat on your sternum, the back is too big. You may need to go down a size.
Saggy cups: If the cups are wrinkling, this means the cups are too big . Instead, try a smaller cup size.
High riding back: If the back of the bra is riding up, it is too big. Again, you need a smaller back size.
Side boob: If the wires of your cup are digging into the breast, your cup size is too small. So you can try a bigger cup size instead.
2. Equivalent sizes
Have you ever wanted the same size cup, but just slightly smaller band size? This chart can help.
Basically, if you are a 12B, you can try the same cup in the 14A or 10C, but it will change the length of the band. This is also handy information when your normal bra size isn’t available.
3. Proper storage
Do you just put your bras in the drawer without thinking? This can make undergarments lose their shape. Instead, stack your bras instead of folding, like so!
4. Hand wash bras
Did you know that hand-washing bras is much better than throwing them into a machine? Here’s some really handy hints on proper hand-washing:
- Fill a sink with warm water, and a small amount of washing detergent.
- Soak bras completely for a few minutes.
- Work suds into bras.
- Drain water and rinse.
- Pop bras into salad spinner (yes really!) and spin dry.
- Hang up to dry!
5. Fix your underwire in 10 seconds
Has your underwire come out of your favourite bra? This is quite common, however it doesn’t have to mean the end is nigh.
- Dr. Scholl’s Moleskin Plus padding
- Bra with a protruding underwire
- Work the wire back in to the casing with your fingers.
- Some holes are so big that you need to apply super glue there first, let it dry then add the moleskin.
- Now that you have the wires back in to the casing, cut a small strip of moleskin, about 2cm long.
- Smooth the moleskin a few times to make the adhesive glue adhere to the fabric.
6. Easy fitting tip
If you can’t fit two fingers under the back strap, it’s too tight. If you can fit your whole fist, it’s too loose.
7. Hide a bra strap on your favourite top
You can have the most well-adjusted and fitted bra in the universe but one way or another, those pesky straps will show through on the top you are wearing.
If you’re sick of this happening, there’s a really quick and ingenious way to get them to stay hidden away with having to resort to painful clips and clasps. See here!
8. Get a bra extender
If you’ve gain weight or your old bra simply doesn’t fit anymore, then a bra extender could be what you need. You can either make these out of an old bra, by cutting off the square hook side of the back, or by purchasing one for a few dollars.
Will you give these clever ideas a try? Do you hate bra shopping?